Talk about a run of bad luck!

Posted By on August 18, 2013

First, my hosting company loses its mind and I had to move everything… then right after I get the hosting files moved and in the process of setting everything back up…  my home server lost its mind too!  I have a server running a software RAID with 6.5 TB of storage ‘of sorts via WHS’.  As it was, I had about 648 GB free.

A drive was beginning to show signs of failing but I didn’t have enough drive capacity or ability to, physically add another drive so I could remove the bad drive from the pool.  I slowly had to move about 3.5 TB of files off the server in order to make enough space to remove the drive from the shared space.

The good news is that no files were lost but these two events have cost me precious time, about 5 weeks… I now find myself behind schedule, which is a shame because before these two events took place, I was ahead of schedule by about two weeks.

So, now my home server is healed and I’ve reconfigured it so I can add more physical drives.  I have not yet migrated everything back to the server but can get back to work again.  I’ll buy 4 more 2TB drives (64mb WD Red drives) in the near future and ensure that I have enough available space to remove one drive from the pool.

At least it gave me the push to reorganize my local files and get rid of some and move some to off-line storage (hard drives in a metal insulated box on a shelf)

Jeff

About the author

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please note: Comment moderation is currently enabled so there will be a delay between when you post your comment and when it shows up. Patience is a virtue; there is no need to re-submit your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment.